The Shorty Awards have been a hot topic on Twitter over the past few days. So, what are the Shorty Awards?
“The Shorty Awards honor the world’s top Twitterers. You can nominate as many people for as many categories as you’d like until midnight December 31st. ”
- To nominate someone for a Shorty Award, send a tweet similar to this: @shortyawards I nominate @researchgoddess in category #business / #pr / #recruiting because… (but write something of your own).
- The text of the tweet is completely up to you. As long as it contains @shortyawards @someone #category you can be as creative with the rest as you like.
- You actually have to write something. Just submitting the default tweet doesn’t count.
- The five people with the most nominations in each category will go on to the final voting round, held January 5th to 14th.
- There will be an awards ceremony in New York in late January, where the winners can deliver their 140-character acceptance speeches.
- You can nominate people for any category you can imagine. We’ll eliminate categories that don’t have enough nominees and add categories that become competitive.
- You can’t nominate the same person more than once for the same category.
- You can nominate yourself, but beware, you might win the #egocentric category.
- Only one person and one category per tweet. If you want to nominate someone in multiple categories, you have to send multiple tweets.
- Corporate and personal Twitter accounts are eligible for any category.
- We’ll perform audits to make sure people are not gaming the system or hanging chads. Contact us if you see suspicious activity.
- Nominations close at midnight, December 31st.
- Your nominations won’t be counted if your twitter account is private. You nominations must appear publicly.
- If you change your twitter username, any nominations under your old username won’t carry over.
Props to the folks over at Sawhorse Media as they are the brains behind these awards.
Think about who some of your favorite tweeters are and start nominating them! Remember those with the MOST nominations will move to the next round of voting. And if you can’t think of anyone, I’ll accept your nomination